Party Wall Agreements

I'm a paragraph. Click here to add your own text and edit me.

If you're planning an extension, loft conversion or any home renovations that include works being taken out on a party wall, you will need a party wall agreement with your neighbour. 


What is a party wall agreement?


A party wall agreement is a legal agreement between you and your neighbour regarding building works that affect any party walls, boundaries or outbuildings. 


The party wall agreement will include:

  • A list of works will be carried out and how

  • The condition of the party wall before any works starting including photos to provide clear evidence should there be any disputes (known as a schedule of condition)

  • Architectural drawings and details of the planned outcome of the works

  • A copy of the Constructors Public Liability Insurance documents 

  • Working hours 


What happens if my neighbour doesn't consent to a party wall agreement?


If you've failed to come to an agreement with your neighbour regarding consent to carry out works affecting a party wall, then you will be considered to be 'in dispute' with your neighbour.


You will then need to appoint a party wall surveyor who works for both you and your neighbour, or each appoints a surveyor however this option becomes more expensive. 


The party wall surveyor will then arrange a Party Wall Award stating how what and when work can be carried out and who will pay for it. 


Trying to arrange party wall agreement can be difficult. Here at Reliance Design & Build we can help guide you through the entire process and put you in touch with our trusted party wall surveyors.